Ph.D., University of Central Florida, 2008
Tel: (575) 646-5720
Office: Jett Hall, Room 128
Associate Professor, New Mexico State University, 2018 onward
Assistant Professor, New Mexico State University, 2012-2018
Scientist (Enabling Physical Technologies Research), Bell Labs, 2010-2012
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008-2010; Advisor: Dr. Yogendra Joshi
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Central Florida, 2002-2008; Advisor: Dr. Louis Chow, Co-Advisor: Dr. Jay Kapat
Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Central Florida, 2004-2007
Lab on the Web
Physical, chemical, and biological interactions between tailored and engineered surfaces and their surrounding thermal, fluidic, and particulate environments; single-phase and phase change heat transfer; particulate flows in natural and built environments; surface micro/nano-manufacturing; energy systems and thermal management; health; space transportation
Research Grants (since 2017)
- Compact Cryogenic Heat Recuperator with Wavy Surfaces (PI), NASA, 2021-2024.
- DURIP – Metal Additive Manufacturing for Enhanced Heat Transfer Surfaces (PI), AFOSR, 2020-2021.
- Enhanced Solar Desalination Using Innovative Approaches for Concentrate Treatment and Energy Recovery (Co-PI), USBR, 2020-2021.
- Thermal-Fluid Design Evaluation of a Cold Plate (PI), Calculex, Inc., 2020.
- NMSU College of Engineering Research (PI), NMSU OER+VPR, 2019-2024.
- EAGER: Pool Boiling of Water on a Binary Surface (PI), NSF, 2018-2020.
- Virtual Telescope for X-ray Observations (Co-PI), NASA, 2018-2019.
- Low-Cost, Low-Energy Concentrate Water Desalination using Heat Recuperative Solar Still with Concentrating Solar Technology (Co-PI), USBR-NMWRRI, 2017-2019.
- Testing of Two-Phase Cooling Solutions for High Energy Lasers (PI), AFRL, 2017 onward (equipment loan).
- SBIR/STTR: Ultra-Omniphilic Surface Preparation for High Heat Flux Flow Boiling (PI), Missile Defense Agency, 2017-2019 (primary contractor is SRL, Inc.).
- Turfgrass Irrigation and its Impact on Heat Island Mitigation and Energy Consumption (Co-PI), The Lawn Institute, 2017-2019.
- A New Solar Still for Low-cost Sustainable Water Desalination (Co-PI), NMSU OER, 2017.
- A Paradigm Shift in Small-strain Soil Characterization (Co-PI), NMSU OER, 2017.
- SBIR: Modeling of Flow Boiling in a Cold Plate with Ultra-Omniphilic Surfaces (PI), Missile Defense Agency, 2017-2018 (primary contractor is Roccor, Inc.).
- An Approach for Altering Wetting Properties of Metallic Surfaces, Inventor: Krishna Kota, US 10,907,258.
- Cooling Technique, Co-Inventor: Krishna Kota, US 9,557,118.
- A Mechanically-Reattachable Liquid-cooled Cooling Apparatus, Co-Inventor: Krishna Kota, US 8,542,489.
- Cooling Apparatus for Communications Platforms, Co-Inventor: Krishna Kota, US 20120279683 A1.
- Miniature High Speed Compressor Having Embedded Permanent Magnet Motor, Co-Inventor: Krishna Kota, US 7,942,646 B2.
Journal Publications (since 2017)
- Lei Mu, Lin Chen, Lu Lin, Young Ho Park, Huiyao Wang, Pei Xu, Krishna Kota, Sarada Kuravi, “An overview of solar still enhancement approaches for increased freshwater production rates from a thermal process perspective”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 150, pp. 111458, 2021.
- Lin Chen, Pei Xu, Krishna Kota, Sarada Kuravi, Huiyao Wang “Solar distillation of highly saline produced water using low-cost and high-performance carbon black and airlaid paper-based evaporator (CAPER)”, Chemosphere, Vol. 269, pp. 129372, 2021.
- Javed Akhtar, Abner Luna Garcia, Leonardo Saenz, Sarada Kuravi, Fangjun Shu, Krishna Kota, “Can face masks offer protection from airborne sneeze and cough droplets in close-up, face-to-face human interactions? – A quantitative study”, Physics of Fluids, Vol. 32, No. 12, pp. 127112, 2020.
- Lin Chen, Huiyao Wang, Sarada Kuravi, Krishna Kota, Young Ho Park, Pei Xu, “Low-cost and reusable carbon black based solar vapor generator for effective water desalination and purification”, Desalination, Vol. 483, pp. 114412, 2020.
- Ana Johnson, Lei Mu, Young H. Park, Delia J. Valles, Huiyao Wang, Pei Xu, Krishna Kota, Sarada Kuravi, “A Thermal Model for Predicting the Performance of a Solar Still with Fresnel Lens”, Water, Vol. 11, No. 9, pp. 1860 (20 pages), 2019.
- Lei Mu, Rocio Castillo Gomez, Lin Chen, Young-Ho Park, Huiyao Wang, Krishna Kota, Pei Xu, Sarada Kuravi, “Performance Enhancement of a Single Basin Single Slope Solar Still Using Fresnel Lens’, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 239, pp. 118094 (13 pages), 2019.
- Nicolas DeLovato, Kavin Sundarnath, Lazar Cvijovic, Krishna Kota, Sarada Kuravi, “A Review of Heat Recovery Applications for Solar and Geothermal Power Plants,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 114, pp. 109329 (19 pages), 2019.
- Lazar Cvijovic, Krishna Kota, “Creating highly wettable paper towel-like aluminum surfaces through tuned bulk micro-manufacturing,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2018.
- Roberto Venegas, Sarada Kuravi, Krishna Kota, Mary McCay, “Comparative Design Analysis of Geothermal and Solar Thermal Power Plants: A Case Study,” International Journal of Renewable Energy Research , Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 625-634, 2018.
- Jessica Reyes, Krishna Kota, “Convective Performance of a Dielectric Liquid in a Channel with Conducting-Lubricating (CO-LUB) Walls for Liquid Cooling of Electronics,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 89, No. 12, pp. 147-153, 2017.
- Seyedali Seyedkavoosi, Saeed Javan, Krishna Kota, “Exergy-based Optimization of an Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) for Waste Heat Recovery from an Internal Combustion Engine (ICE),” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 126, No. 11, pp. 447-457, 2017.
- Ryan Holguin, Krishna Kota, Stephen Wootton, Ruey-Hung Chen, Sean Ross, “Enhanced Boiling Heat Transfer on Binary Surfaces,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 114, No. 11, pp. 1105-1113, 2017.
- Nicholas Clegg, Krishna Kota, Xin He, Sean Ross, “Achieving Ultra-Omniphilic Wettability on Copper using a Facile, Scalable, Tuned Bulk Micromanufacturing Approach,” ASME Journal of Micro- and Nano-Manufacturing, Vol. 5, No. 3, 031003 (1-7), 2017.