Associate Department Head, Associate Professor
Ph.D., Purdue University, 2005
Tel: (575) 646-2118
Office: Jett Hall, Room 104B
Experimental fluid dynamics, bio-inspired flow, biofluidics, microfluidics, turbulent flow, optical metrology and development of flow diagnostic methods.
Past and Present Projects
- Gross, A. (PI), and Shu, F.(co-PI), “Development of Windmilling Prevention and Thrust Vectoring Capability for JetCat Turbojet Engine,” Amount: $18,676. Agency: Universal Technology Company. Dates: 08/01/19 – 06/30/20.
- Shu. F. (PI), “Experimental Sounding Rocket Association,” Summary: Design, build and launch a rocket for the Spaceport America Cup competition. Amount: $5,000/year. Agency: National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Dates: 2017-2020.
- Gross, A. (PI), and Shu, F.(co-PI), “Improving the Thrust-to-Weight Ratio of a JetCat Gas Turbine Engineering,” Amount: $14,130. Agency: Universal Technology Company. Dates: 08/01/18 – 06/30/19.
- Lee, Y (PI), Shu, F. (co-PI) and Wei, M. (co-PI), “Acquisition of an Integrated System for Laser-Assisted Non-Intrusive Experimentation and Data-Driven Reduced-Order Modeling,” Amount: $493,567. Agency: Department of Defense. Dates: Feb. 2014- Jan. 2015.
- Shu, F. (PI), “PIV Flow Measurement in Combustion Air Piping system for Purpose of Flow Meter Validation,” Amount: $36,975. Agency: Cummins Inc. Dates: Jan. 2014-Aug. 2014
- Wei, M. (PI), and Shu, F. (co-PI), “Flapping and Twisting Aeroelastic Wings for Propulsion,” Amount: ~$300,000. Agency: Department of Defense. Dates: Aug. 2010-Mar. 2012.
- Shu, F. (PI), “Intelligent Wind Turbines,” Amount: $103,799. Agency: Los Alamos National Lab. Dates: Aug. 2010-Aug. 2012.
- Ahumada, J., Shu, F. and Chen R., “Characterization of Recirculating Structures in the Near Field of Underexpanded Swirling Jets,” Experiments in Fluids, 60: 180, 2019
- Edgerton, K., Throneberry, G., Takeshita, A., Hocut, C.M., Shu, F. and Abdelkefi, A., “Numerical and experimental comparative performance analysis of emerging spherical-caged drones,” Aerospace Science and Technology, 95, 105512, 2019
- Rodriguez,S.D, H.N. Chung, K. K. Gonzales,J. Vulcan, Y. Li, J. A. Ahumada, H.M. Romero, M. De La Torre, F. Shu, and I. A. Hansen, “Efficacy of Some Wearable Devices Compared with Spray-On Insect Repellents for the Yellow Fever Mosquito, Aedes aegypti (L.) (Diptera: Culicidae)”, Journal of Insect Science, 17(1): 24, 2017
- Talavera, M., and Shu, F., “Experimental Study of Turbulence Intensity Influence on Wind Turbine Performance and Wake Recovery,” Renewable Energy, 109: 363-371, 2017
- Shu, F., Tian, R., Vandenberghe, S. and Antaki, J., “Experimental study of microscale Taylor vortices within a co-axial mixed-ow blood pump,” Artificial Organs, 40(11): 1071-1078, 2016
- Tian, R., Marquez, E., Bocanegra, H., Balakumar, B.J. and Shu. F., “Experimental study of Reynolds number and gust influence on transient force and ow generated by a robotic hummingbird,” International Journal of Micro Air Vehicles, 7(3): 347-360, 2015
- Shu, F., Vandenberghe, S., Brackett J., and Antaki, J., “Classification of Unsteady Flow Patterns in a Rotodynamic Blood Pump: Introduction of Non-Dimensional Regime Map”, Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology, 6(3), 230-241, DOI: 10.1007/s13239-015-0231-0, 2015
- Glenn, A.L., Bulusu, K.V., Shu, F. and Plesniak, M.W., “Secondary Flow Structures Under Stent-Induced Perturbations for Cardiovascular Flow in a Curved Artery Model,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 35: 76-8, 2012