Experimental fluid dynamics, bio-inspired flow, biofluidics, microfluidics, turbulent flow, optical metrology and development of flow diagnostic methods.
Past and Present Projects
- National Science Foundation: Unsteady flow phenomena in models of curved arteries with stents. Present project, lead investigator. My responsibility including: flow system design and fabrication, design and conduct of experiments, results analysis and writing of annual report.
- National Institute of Health: Develop of a turbodynamic pediatric ventricular assist device. 2006~2009, $5M, key investigator. My responsibility include: design of the flow visualization prototype, design and conduct of flow experiments, results analysis and writing of annual and final report.
- National Institude of Health: Develop of a ventricular assist device for toddlers. 2006~2009, ~$500k, lead investigator. My responsibility include: prototype design and fabrication, in vitro test, flow visualization, coordinate in animal implant and preparation of final report and participated in the phase II proposal writing.
- WorldHeart corporation: Investigation of pulsatile flow within the Levacor ventricular assist device. 2007~2008, ~$30k, principle investigator. I was in charge of proposal writing, experimental system design and assembly, conduct of experiments, results analysis, and writing of final report.
- Journal Publications
- F. Shu, S. Vandenberghe and J. F. Antaki, “Experimental classification of unsteady flow in a turbodynamic blood pump”, submitted to Experiments in Fluids
- F. Shu, S. Vandenberghe and J. F. Antaki, “The Importance Of dQ/dt On The Flow Field In A Turbodynamic Pump With Pulsatile Flow”, Artificial Organs, vol. 33, No. 9, pp 757-762, September 2009
- R.K. Gottlieb, F. Shu, Z. Wu, M.V. Kameneva, J.F. Antaki, Z.J. Wu and G.W. Burgreen “Liquid Crystal Shear Stress Sensor for Blood and Other Opaque Viscous Fluids”, Journal of flow visualization and image processing, vol. 16, issue 1, pp 51-71, 2009
- F. Shu, R. Parks, J. Maholtz, S. Ash, and J. F. Antaki, “Multi-modal Flow Visualization and Optimization of Pneumatic Blood Pump for Sorbent Hemodialysis System”, Artificial Organs, vol 33, No. 4, pp 334-345, April 2009
- R. Zhao , J.N. Marhefka, F. Shu, M.V. Kameneva and J.F. Antaki, “Micro-flow Visualization of Red Blood Cell Enhanced Platelet Concentration at Sudden Expansion,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 36 No. 7, pp.1130-1141, July 2008
- J. F. Antaki, C. Diao, F. Shu, J. Wu, R. Zhao and M. V. Kameneva, “Micro-hemodynamics within Blade Tip Clearance of a Centrifugal Turbodynamic Blood Pump,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H, Journal of Engineering in Medicine, vol. 222, No. H4, pp.573-581, May 2008
- Conference/Invited Presentations and Papers:
- F. Shu, S. Vandenberghe, and J. F. Antaki, “Flow Visualization of PediaflowTM Pediatric VAD Under Synchronous Pulsatile Conditions” Biomedical Engineering Society’s (BMES) 2009 Annual Fall Meeting, October 8-10, 2009, Pittsburgh, PA
- C. Prince, F. Shu, S. D. Peterson, and M. W. Plesniak, “Evolution of Unusual Secondary Flow Vortices in a Circular Bend under Physiological Flow Conditions” Biomedical Engineering Society’s (BMES) 2009 Annual Fall Meeting, October 8-10, 2009, Pittsburgh, PA
- T. M. Maul, P. D. Wearden, E. Kocylidirim, A. R. Daly, C. A. Johnson, Jr., J. R. Woolley, S. Olia, S. Snyder, J. Verkaik, D. Paden, F. Shu, J. F. Antaki, M. V. Kemeneva, W. R. Wagner, and H. S. Borovetz, “In Vivo Evaluation of the PediaFlow Pediatric Ventricular Assist Device” Biomedical Engineering Society’s (BMES) 2009 Annual Fall Meeting, October 8-10, 2009, Pittsburgh, PA
- T.M. Maul, P.D. Wearden, E. Kocyildirim, A.R. Daly, C.A. Johnson, J.R. Woolley, B.E. Paden, D.B. Paden, S. Snyder, J. Verkaik, J.F. Antaki, F. Shu, G.B. Bearnson, J. Kirk, P. Khanwilkar, M.V. Kameneva, W.R. Wagner, H.S. Borovetz, and Pediaflow Consortium. Development of the PediaFlow, a Fully Implantable Magnetically Levitated Pediatric Ventricular Assist Device (VAD). in 33rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Midwest Pediatric Cardiology Society, Oct. 6-7, 2009, Pittsburgh, PA.
- P.D. Wearden, T.M. Maul, E. Kocyildirim, A. Daly, C.A. Johnson, J. Woolley, B. Paden, D. Paden, S. Snyder, J. Verkaik, J.F. Antaki, F. Shu, G. Bearnson, J. Kirk, P. Khanwilkar, M. Kameneva, W.R. Wagner, H.S. Borovetz, and the PediaFlow Consortium, In Vivo Evaluation of the PediaFlow Pediatric Ventricular Assist Device, 5th International Conference on Pediatric Mechanical Circulatory Support Systems and Pediatric Cardiopulmonary Perfusion. May 27-30, 2009, Dallas, TX